Most people love the taste of smoky meat that is cooked on a grill until it falls off the bone. However, this flavor is created by using a smoker grill combo that can easily be used in at any home. It is not just the grilled taste that makes these meats so great; it is the smoker aspect as well that will help create some great chicken, burgers, brisket, and more. This guide will take a look at some of the best smoker grill combos that can be found on the market as well as some of the features that are important to consider.
Different Types of Smokers
When purchasing a new smoker, there are several different types that can be considered. Each one is separated into a different category based on the source of fuel that they use. In general, there are six different categories that the best smoker grill combos fall into, which include:
- Pellet Smokers – This is a very versatile option that is designed to help create high-quality smoked foods without years of experience. The unit is actually fuel using pellet chips, so most individuals will find that they do not need to spend a lot of time tending to the smoker. This type of smoker can be used to grill, smoke, roast, sear, and barbecue food. Many professional grillers prefer this type of smoker over the other options because they are so versatile when it comes to the flavor of the meat. Cooking with wood pellets is also a more eco-friendly option when it is compared to some fuels sources.
- Offset Smokers – This is the option that has the largest price range, but it is a very spacious option that will typically provide a lot of space to cook on. In general, it will require a bit of time to learn to use properly, and there are a lot of different variations that fall into this category. This is the type of smoker grill combination that many traditionalists prefer.
- Gas Smokers – Many people find that they prefer this type of smoker grill combo because it is simple to set it and forget about the food as it cooks. It is fueled by propane gas, so longer cooking sessions may require more than one canister of fuel. That being said, this type of fuel also makes the temperature of the grill/smoker easier to control. This is a type of smoker that is going to fall into a mid-range price point, and it can easily do grilling, barbecuing, and smoking of any meats. Gas is not cheap though, so choosing this method of fuel will require additional purchases to be made.
- Electric Smokers – As another mid-ranged smoker grill combination, this is one that is very easy to use. It does not require a lot of effort to get going; all that is required is an outlet where the unit can be plugged in to get some power. As long as power is available, there is never going to be a chance of the unit running out of fuel to cook the meat. In general, this is an option that is extremely simple to use, and it is very low-maintenance to maintain. Adding some woodchips to the fire can also create a unique flavor that can really enhance the food. They are the cheapest option to purchase, but they can require a bit of electricity to use, which can be costly as well, especially if the smoker grill is used frequently.
- Charcoal Smokers – This is a type of smoker grill combo that is often preferred over the others so that the flavor of charcoal gets into the food. It does require a bit of experience to perfect, but once the proper technique is learned, it is perfect for a small family. This is an option that does not have a lot of mechanical functionality, so it will not take a lot to maintain it. In addition, smaller models can be purchased for a price that starts at about $35. These smokers typically look like a drum, and they can have a very portable design. The flavor that this type of smoker grill combo can create is unique to charcoal grills, and woodchips can be used as well to enhance the flavor. Though it is easy o use charcoal to cook meat, the temperature of one of these units is more difficult to control that with some of the other options.
- Kamado Grills – This is a type of grill that is fueled with charcoal as well, but it is one that is designed with ceramic properties. With that being said, this is also a smoker grill that is a bit more delicate and easy to break. The ceramic material of the grill is designed to retain heat, so it is a very fuel efficient option that can grill, smoke, roast, bake, and more. It is a compact smoker grill combo, so it has less cooking space than the other options.
Considerations to Make
When making a purchase decision about which smoker grill combo is best to get, there are a few things that should be considered to decide which option is best. These considerations include:
Which Fuel Source Is Preferred?
Different fuel sources can create a different flavor when it comes to the food that is being cooked. Some people prefer to go with charcoal as a source that will give the food more of a charred flavor, while others prefer to use wood chips or pellets to add a touch of apple, cherry, oak, or hickory to the flavor of the meat as it smokes. Decide which option will work the best in your situation, and go with that fuel source when you choose a smoker grill combo.
Which is Most Important: Smoking or Grilling?
The main reason that many individuals think about purchasing a smoker grill combination is that it can be used to grill and smoke food. However, it is possible that one of these cooking methods will not be a good on the grill as the other option, so decide which option will be used the most by your family, and make sure that it has enough space to feed everyone. Some products are able to create both types of food, so if that is the type of unit that is needed, the price point may be a bit more.
Is Temperature Regulation Required?
When smoking food, the temperature of the heat source needs to be pretty consistent; this means that some options, like charcoal, can make it a bit more difficult to regulate. If an individual cannot get a smoker grill that has dials that can be used to regulate the temperature, then a digital thermometer may be required to probe the meat as it cooks. Ideally, individuals who plan to use the smoker a lot should look for a unit that has a built-in temperature gauge so that the temperature can be monitored easily.
How Much Space is Needed?
When purchasing a smoker grill combination unit, there is likely going to be a space that can be used for each method of cooking. Since this is the case, how often with the unit be used to host family, friends, or other gatherings where food will be served. Remember, larger units may provide more grilling space, but that also means that it will need more room to store it away when it is not being used. Consider which size works best, and purchase a smoker grill combo based on the number of people that will be coming to backyard barbecues. Also, larger units will make it less portable, which means only cooking out in one location.
Is it Easy to Clean?
Cleaning the grill can be difficult, especially when there are multiple functions that it can use to cook the food. Make sure that the surface of the grill is made with a nonstick material that will keep the food from sticking. In fact, grilling with aluminum foil may be a great option to consider so that the grill top stays clean. Also, make sure to bring a grill brush along so that it can be used to scrub the surface easily. Also, with a charcoal grill, having an easy way to remove the used charcoal will make cleanup easier to manage.
Does it Come with a Warranty?
Not all smoker grill combos come with a warranty, but the best options will at least offer a limited warranty that will back the product for a while after it is purchased. Some warranties for these devices can last for a year, while others can provide lifetime coverage. Decide how much a warranty is worth, and then make a purchase based on the warranty that works best.
Accessories to Consider
When considering a new smoker grill combination, there are some accessories that the grill will need to have to make the process of smoking and grilling food easier. Of course, all of these accessories are not required; however, some will be preferred when making a purchase. Some of the accessories to consider include:
Having wheels on a smoker grill makes the unit much easier to move and transport, especially if the activities are to take place away from the home. This makes it possible to smoke food and grill it at any location or even to move it to store it without the help of others. Some grills are designed with two wheels that can be used when the grill is tilted a bit. This is typically the design that will be used on smaller to mid-sized smoker grills, but larger options can have four wheels to make it even easier to move.
A smoker grill that is stored outdoors can easily get damaged over time, so having a cover is a great way to keep it safe when there is inclement weather that the unit needs to be protected from. Most of the smokers on the market that will be considered do not come with a cover, so it is something that should be purchased separately. In fact, having a cover for the smoker grill that is purchased will help prolong the life of it by quite a bit.
Not all grills are designed with movable racks, which can make it difficult to cook larger cuts of meat without an issue. Adjustable shelves will offer the versatility that is required for a smoker grill combo so that all of the cuts of meat that are being prepared can cook at the same time with ease.
When grilling or preparing food outdoors, it is important to make sure that there are a lot of places to place the food and the utensils. This can include a side table, a shelf, a condiment tray, or hooks to place accessories on. If the budget does not allow for all of these add-ons, then a custom table can be built that has all of the space that is needed.
Best 5 Smoker Grill Combo Reviews1) Z GRILLS ZPG-450A 2019 Model, 6 in 1 Pellet Grill & Smoker with Auto Temperature Control
- 450 square inches of grill space
- Precision temperature control
- Fan-assisted cooling
- Electric auto-start ignition
- Three-year warranty
When it comes time to grill, this product has all the features that can help an individual get started quickly. This includes a fan-forced convection cooking feature that helps circulate the air more evenly, an electronic auto-start function, and a larger, 450 square inch cooking area. Like the top smoker grill combos, this Z Grills product has a set of wheels that will make it easy to push the cooker where it needs to be.
When it comes to smoking, this Z Grills cooker has a unique technology that will allow anyone to cook for 20 hours with 20 pounds of wood pellets via an automated feed system. As a result, meats and veggies will have just the right taste once they are done smoking. Additionally, this smoker grill is also designed to be versatile; an individual can smoke or grill a lot on the extensive surface, and there’s a digital temperature control that will help to stay as precise as possible while preparing various foods.
Also, it’s fairly easy to bake, roast, or barbecue with this product thanks to its unique design. During food prep, the cooker also features a fold-out shelf that will work as a food prep area to cut or store any foods that will be cooked. It’s also very easy to clean the product when the food preparation is done.
- The temperature can be tracked by an LED display.
- It uses an automated electric feed system.
- It has plenty of grill space.
- The pellets don’t always fall into the hopper like they should.
- The grill loses too much heat when opening the lid.
- The instructions could be better.
- 820 square inches of grill space
- Dial-in temperature control
- LED temperature readout
- Built-in flame broiler
- Upper cooking rack space
It’s clear that the folks at Pit Boss love to grill, and this product has more than enough versatility to provide a full-fledged grilling and smoking experience. Like the top smoker grill combos, it is simple to load up the hardwood pellets into the hopper, and the smoker will automatically adjust the feed rate so that the preset temperature is maintained within the Pit Boss product. As a result, it’s almost effortless to smoke up your favorite foods; simply load up the smoker and wait for the food to be ready in 20 hours or so.
This is also made very easy by the fact that the Pit Boss smoker grill also has a very intuitive temperature control system that’s operated by a dial. Once set, it’s also easy to keep track of the internal temperature of the grilling area via a large LED temperature display. The 71820FB also has a temperature range of 180 to 500 degrees Fahrenheit, so to smoke at a low temperature for fall-apart ribs, this product will get the job done.
To make a steakhouse-style steak, the Pit Boss 71820FB also includes a built-in flame broiler. This will allow individuals to work a char onto your favorite meats. The space that this grill provides is amazing – this grill has 820 square inches of grilling area thanks to a large main grate as well as an upper cooking rack space that can also be used for food prep.
- Despite its high amount of cooking area, this Pit Boss product is very compact.
- The wheels are large enough to work on most terrain.
- It has a built-in flame broiler.
- There’s a tendency for the 71820FB to collect rust.
- The flame broil surface is a bit on the small side.
- Versatile smoker grill
- Made of heavy-gauge steel
- Digital elite temperature controller
- Easy to clean porcelain grill grates
This product, which is manufactured by Traeger, is a smoker grill that has a versatile design that allows grilling, smoking, baking, roasting, and even braising. It has 418 square inches of cooking area. It is also made of heavy-gauge steel, and as a result, this is one of the most durable products of the type on the market. This material is also fairly rustproof, so this Traeger cooker can work well in most outdoor environments.
The temperature gauge is located left on the door, and it has a LED display so that you can easily see and get a reading of the ideal temperatures for most of the foods that are being prepared. Starting the Traeger smoker grill is as simple as flipping a switch with the integrate electronic auto-start ignition.
The porcelain grill grates on this smoker are also easy to clean once you’ve prepared your food. Also, if you’re going to be moving your smoker around your property, its wheels are very versatile and will make it easy to manage even loose terrain.
- Have non-stick surface porcelain grill grates which make this easy to clean.
- It’s designed to be very tough; it won’t scratch easy and works well in moist environments.
- This is a very stable cooker.
- The digital elite temperature controller maintains precise temperatures and is easily readable on the LED display.
- Grill grate is a little too small for larger foods.
- When rolling it around, it can be rough on the back.
- Storage room for BBQ tools and grill pellets
- eight-in-one design – grill, smoke, braise, sear, barbeque, char-grill, roast, or bake
- Four-wheeled design
- 700 square inches of cooking space
One of the first things to notice about this product is its unique bronze and black design. This definitely makes it stand out, but when it comes to everyday use, it’s the cooker’s strong feature set that helps it stand out. This is a very stable cooker from Z Grills; it has a four-wheel design so that it can be moved easily without tilting it when going from place to place. Also, when it comes to utility, the storage space at its base can be very helpful for keeping barbecue tools nice and organized.
This is an eight-in-one product, so it can do everything from braising meat to baking your cookies. Additionally, the hopper has an auto-feed system so that someone doesn’t have to come back periodically to ensure that there is enough wood pellets to properly smoke the foods.
While you’re cooking, you can set the temperature via a dial, and its fairly easy to read the built-in temperature gauge. The cooker also utilizes an induction fan, which ensures that an even amount of heat is present throughout the entirety of the cooker. Finally, the handle on the main dome area is designed to stay cool, even when things are awfully hot under the lid.
- This product has a very elegant design.
- It has over 700 square inches of cooking space.
- It has an auto-feed system for the pellets.
- It uses fan-forced convection cooking.
- Sometimes the heat controller can be a bit lacking.
- It’s limited to pellets made by Z Grills.
- Side burner
- Gas, charcoal, charcoal/chip smoker combo
- Easy-to-read temperature gauge
- Porcelain-coated cooking grids
When entertaining a lot of people, sometimes multiple ways of preparing food is required. This product, which is manufactured by Smoke Hollow, has the ability to prepare food by smoking, grilling, or cooking it over a dedicated gas burner. This is perfect for when you need to reduce some barbecue sauce while preparing your ribs. Also, the cooking surfaces are mostly porcelain-coated, so they reach a nice even temperature and are easy to clean once the cooking is done.
Since there are multiple ways to prep food, the product even includes two temperature gauges so that it can be set to slow cook ribs in one and charbroil in the other cooking space. Versatility was clearly part of the design philosophy of this product, and it’s the perfect cooker for entertaining.
When the smoker grill needs to be moved, it also has a set of two wheels and an easy to use handle. Speaking of handles, the rounded handles on each cooking area are also designed to stay nice and cool as the food cooks. The product also has three 7,000 BTU stainless steel burners that utilize gas to provide an even level of heating.
- This is a nice product for those that want a high level of versatility.
- It has chrome-plated warming racks.
- There are two independent temperature gauges.
- The handles are positioned far away from the lids and are designed to stay cool.
- It’s hard to assemble.
- The diffusers on the gas grill are a bit thin and can rust away.
If grilling is a big part of life, then finding the best smoker grill combo to entertain at home should be a priority. There are quite a few great options that can be purchased on the market, and this guide has provided five great options to consider. The Z GRILLS ZPG-700D 2019 Wood Pellet Grill and Smoker is the best option that has been reviewed in this guide because it is a durable product that has plenty of cooking space, it comes with wheels to make it portable, and it has a three-year warranty that could be very useful.